Ads can get annoying. GASP. Did we just say that? “But Revel, you’re an ADVERTISING agency? How can you say that?” Well for starters, we didn’t say OUR ads were annoying. ☺ But our statement is true. Incessant, irrelevant and cheesy ads can get annoying. And nobody likes to be marketed to all of the time. We get it.
But have you ever experienced an advertisement that was just so cool you didn’t even care that it invaded your space or interrupted your day? Guerrilla marketing does just that. We like to call it “In your face marketing.” Guerrilla marketing is made up of ads and promotions that are unexpected, eye-catching and extremely clever. Businesses and organizations take objects that you happen upon in your daily life and use them to promote whatever it is they’re selling. Typically, after you see that, you think, “Wow that was clever!,” or “Genius!” or it makes you want to take a Snapchat for your story so all of your friends can see too. (They will find it to be a welcome change from your usual “going to work” selfie.)
Not sure what we mean? Take a look at these examples of guerilla marketing efforts of all shapes and sizes.
Now, some of these are on a far larger scale than most locally-owned and smaller businesses can afford and let’s be honest, a lot of these look like a hassle to arrange. The city ordinances alone are probably a nightmare to coordinate. However, that doesn’t mean that the idea of a guerrilla campaign is off the table for a business of any size. Actually, guerrilla tactics are typically low-cost—they’re just so effective you THINK they cost a bunch!
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself when you are thinking about starting a guerrilla marketing campaign:
- What is the best location to make the biggest splash with your target demographic? On that note, do you know who your target is? You’ll need to know that too!
- What would make people stop and look? You’ll want to interrupt someone’s day with this, which is not exactly easy to do with everyone glued to their phones 24/7.
- What is my message? Do you have a call to action or are you just trying to gain brand awareness? The answer to this question will help you come up with your idea.
- Can anyone else help me? Do you work with any other organizations or businesses that could help put some power behind your message or even just help with the execution? While these efforts can typically cost less in supplies, they can often cost more in labor. If you have someone to share the load, it can help in many ways!
- How do I measure success? We get this question a lot, which is why we ask it to all of our clients. At the end of the day, how will you measure if it worked or not? What do you want to see happen? Set realistic measurables and let that be the deciding factor as you move on throughout your strategy.
Not everyone has been bitten by the creative bug. Lucky for them, there is a whole team of creatives at Revel that have! If you are looking for an out of the box marketing campaign to really get in front of your targets, let us help you!
We found a great list of really cool guerrilla marketing examples. Check it out here.