1. Are you a Springfield native, or a Springfield transplant?
I’m definitely a Springfield transplant. I grew up in Guadalajara, Mexico, with a couple of years in Houston, TX in between. Then, I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a few years before I came here for my senior year of High School. I stayed in Springfield for college and I’ve been here ever since.
2. What attracted you to the advertising field?
Originally I wasn’t attracted to advertising at all; I was exclusively attracted to design. I started in architecture and carried that design sense into graphic design. It was a while before I realized that design is useless without a meaning behind it. All of the designs I loved most were advertising something – either a conference, an event, a product or a brand. That’s when I realized that design and marketing are irrevocably intertwined.
3. What do you love most about your job?
I love that I don’t have to be stuffy and boring, or physically exhausting myself on the regular. I get to sit, listen to music and just think and be creative. I love that once I have an idea, I have every tool at my disposal to make it come to life. Then that idea gets shared with the world, through clients.
4. Do you have any nicknames around the office?
Sometimes people call me El Jefe. But not really. I just started, what do you expect?
5. How would your best friend describe you?
“Unpredictable. Sometimes he takes things farther than anybody else is willing to, but that just makes things more fun. It also sometimes makes things really awkward.”
6. Tell us a unique fact about yourself that few people would know.
I once danced from 11 pm to 6 am. Needless to say, I was pretty tired afterward.
7. What food do you crave most?
Asian food. All the time. Breaded Chinese food and sushi. And rice. And noodles. And a good egg drop soup.
8. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
I wish I could be a master carpenter. I would make the most amazing furniture. No more settling for middle-of-the-road quality, expensive furniture that pervades the furniture market these days.
9. What is your favorite book of all time?
It’s really hard to pinpoint a favorite, because I go through phases where I just devour books and the latest one always engulfs my mind. If I go by amount of times read, I’ve read the entire Chronicles of Narnia series about 15 times…
10. Do you have any special (or strange) talents?
I have this strange ability to attract the violence of children. Wherever I go, it seems that kids enjoy beating up on me for no reason. I don’t know if it’s a talent, but it’s definitely a thing.
11. If you had to choose a theme song for your life, what would it be?
Even though I don’t know that the tempo would match my life the best, the first song that popped into my head was “To Build a Home,” by The Cinematic Orchestra. There are so many layers of how that song has affected my life.
12. If you could meet anyone – living or dead – who would you choose?
I know that he could be a real jerk, but if I could spend a day with somebody it would probably be Steve Jobs. Everyone who has described him said that he had the ability to just take over your mind in an eerily overpowering way. I’d like to see that in action.
13. The title of your personal autobiography would be:
Don’t Stop. I could elaborate, but that would take up a whole book.
14. If Revel were an animal, what would it be and why?
A toucan. It’s an animal whose body is the perfect juxtaposition between minimalism and bursting color.
15. Leave us with your favorite quote:
“Make me nervous” –anonymous